CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

My name is Jewel. Welcome to my blog!

As a young girl growing up in the Philippines, I always hoped for storms so ferocious that school would have to be cancelled. And when it was cancelled, my siblings and I got to stay home. Usually there was no electricity, which we called "black out".

Who cared about the storm outside when we had wax from the candle, to mold into a human shape and stick pins in...just kidding, we weren't really into voodoo. Anyway, along with the wax sculpting, we exchanged suspenseful stories, of ghosts and aswang and the mananaggal.

This blog is dedicated to that spine-tingling story, of things imagined or real. Come on in, grab a blob of wax and join me around the table.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ghost Moon Night - First Chapter

Here's the first chapter of "Ghost Moon Night," my horror novel set in 1950s Philippines about a town haunted by evil creatures on ghost moon night.



Coastal town of Dasalin, Philippines

I was six when I first discovered the peculiar nature of ghost moon night.

For as long as I could remember, I was forbidden to go outside on ghost moon night, which is that one night in the month when the sky is completely empty of the moon.

It had been a rainy day, and I had to stay indoors. My mother hardly hung up the switch she used to swat me with, I was always getting in trouble. Late that night, the rain finally ceased. I didn’t care if it was ghost moon night, I was determined to go outside to the batalan and get a drink of water.

To get a drink now, you simply turn on the faucet inside the house. But when I was six, the kitchen was outside, and to get water, you had to pump it from the well.

My mother said I had to wait until sun-up, but I didn’t want to wait that long. When she wasn’t looking, I bolted out the back door and ran past the ditch where the labandera washed the clothes, to the outside kitchen where the pump was.

Someone had already beaten me to it. At first I thought it was Trining, the servant-girl, but then, I realized it wasn’t. For one thing, Trining had just cut her hair short with a pair of dull scissors, and this girl had long hair over a dark shawl.

The girl had her back turned towards me. I heard the handle of the pump creak as she lifted it up, the gush of water hitting the ground. And then I heard a horrible noise.

Even now, seventy years later, the hairs on my arm stand on end when I think about it.

It was the sound of an animal, slurping noisily, gulping in mouthfuls, with satisfied growls coming from the back of its throat.

I stood there frozen for a good minute, then I turned right around and ran to the back door as fast as I could.

I twisted the knob, but it would not budge. My clammy hands slipped as I tried to get the door open, and then I realized I must have accidentally locked it behind me. I pounded on the door and cried, “Mother! Mother!”

For what seemed like an awfully long time, no one came to the door. I looked over my shoulder and could make out the figure of a woman slowly approaching me, just beyond the low wall, against which the wash basin was leaned to dry for the night. What I thought was a shawl unfurled behind her, like wings.

Once again, I pounded on that door until finally, it opened and I collapsed in a heap at my mother’s feet. She slammed the door shut and locked it behind me.

“Susmaryosep, Antonio,” she said, looking frightened. “Didn’t I tell you to stay inside?”

“What is all this commotion about?” My father appeared in the doorway of the dining room.”

My voice was small and pinched. “I was getting a drink.”

“It’s ghost moon night,” Father said, frowning at Mother. “How could you send him outside?”

“I didn’t,” she said. “He went out on his own.”

I sat cross-legged on the floor, holding still for once that day, staring at my lap.

“Did you see anything?” Father asked. I knew he was talking to me, but I ignored him and continued to just stare. Mother bent down, grabbed my shoulder and repeated the question.

I hugged my knees and said, “I’m sleepy.”

***

All the lamps in the house were lit, like times when my parents expected visitors. My father accompanied me to my bedroom, tucked me under my mosquito net and sat on a chair beside my bed. Moths flit about my bedside lamp and cast dancing shadows on a wall adorned with a painting of the Sacred Heart of Jesus cut out from a calendar. A heart glowed on his chest.

“Son,” he said. “I was going to wait to tell you about ghost moon night until you were older, but I see that it cannot wait. Do you know why we stay inside and shut all the doors and windows?”

I mumbled something about multo, or ghosts.

“They are not just ordinary ghosts,” Father said. “They are called langbuan, for they come out that one day in the month when there is no moon, or walang buwan. They committed such terrible sins while alive that they are cursed to wander our town on ghost moon night.”

“Trining says they eat people, and that they especially like children who misbehave.”

Father smiled. “I don’t know about eating people, but they do steal people’s souls.”

I imagined my chest laid open, a clawed hand reaching for my soul. My eyes wandered over to the portrait of Jesus and his exposed heart. I looked away, burrowed deeper under my thin sheet and shuddered.

“Trining was lying anyway,” I said. “She also told me they looked like monkeys, when actually…”
My words died on my lips as Father’s gaze sharpened. Something in it scared me, and I could not go on.

“Promise me you will never go out on ghost moon night,” Father said, his voice trembling with strong emotion.

“Yes, Father,” I said.

“When I think of what could have happened to you tonight…”

“I was just thirsty,” I blubbered, trying to head off a tongue-lashing. “I didn’t mean to…”

Father reached in under the mosquito net and patted me awkwardly until my sobs subsided, and I felt a little better. As he usually did, he left the lamp which stood sentinel over my closed window burning. Later, I realized that he also left my bedside lamp lit well into dawn, for which I was grateful. I really needed it that night.

There were times, in later years, when I sensed my father wanted to speak to me about what happened that night, but I usually changed the topic. I learned my lesson, though. I never went out on ghost moon night.

Not until I was seventeen. Do you want to know what happened then?

You know, your mother will not appreciate my telling you this story. You might have nightmares.

Very well, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

3 comments:

Aquaspce said...

ooh I like it!

Anonymous said...

Is this Ghost moon night really a thing in the Philippines? I mean, did you used to not go out on this night?

My opinion is that you should spend more time on the part where the boy sees the ghost thing. Build up the suspense.

Jewel Allen said...

Thanks, Abra and Blackbird for the feedback. And no, ghost moon night is all made up :-).